On the morning of June 8, 1997, a controlled blast leveled an old 8-story 1950's-era building on Executive Blvd. to make way for a sleek, modern glass and concrete structure the Neuroscience Center Bldg. which was completed, as scheduled, on Feb. 1, 1999. On Feb. 2, just prior to occupation of the new building, NIH deputy director Dr. Ruth Kirschstein, along with directors of the occupying institutes and other officials, cut the ribbon officially opening the building. On June 24, those institutes will host an open house to welcome staff to their new home.
From the design phase of this project through the move-in, representatives from the relocating ICs NIDA (Steve Gane), NIMH (Barbara Vernmillion), and NINDS (Jim Stoneman) teamed-up with staff from the Division of Space and Facility Management to ensure that the space and layouts met the needs of each institute. The team monitored every phase of the work to assure an uncomplicated move for staff from the Parklawn and Federal buildings.
The three institutes completed their move into the new 8-story building located at 6001 Executive Blvd., which some have dubbed "NIH North," on Mar. 22. The building has 203,000-square-feet of office space and includes a state-of-the-art conference facility with 5 conference rooms and can accommodate some 150 attendees. Amenities include shower and locker rooms, a cafeteria, a health information and lactation program area, a vending stand, an ATM machine and a mail service room. The 3-level parking deck connected to the rear of the building provides parking for approximately 617 cars. Visitor parking is available near the front entrance. The NIH shuttle service provides transportation between this building, Executive Plaza, 6100, 6011, 6000, and the main NIH campus. There is also regular shuttle service to the Metro Station via the White Flint commuter buses.
Up to Top